I love carrots. I was over 20 years old when I found out carrots are classified as vegetables and not as fruits. I bet some of you probably did not know that either.
7 Unpopular Facts about Carrots
I often wondered why carrots appear more orange in colour than actual oranges; then I learnt lots of unpopular but interesting facts about it, such as:
- Carrots were originally purple/white/yellow in colour.
- The everyday orange carrot is a man-made hybrid that contains much more beta-carotene.
- Orange carrots were grown as a mark of respect for William’s House of Orange.
- Carrots were solely cultivated for medicinal purposes originally.
- China produces about one-third of all carrots distributed worldwide.
- British gunners were thought to have been able to locate and shoot down German planes at night during World War II because of carrot consumption.
- Carrots were believed to be sexual stimulants by Romans.
10 Carrot Usages
Carrots can either be eaten raw, boiled, roasted, fried or steamed. It can also be processed into various dishes such as:
7 Benefits of Eating Carrots
Carrots are very tasty with many health benefits therefore it is advisable to eat at least one stick of carrot daily. However, excessive consumption may lead to what is referred to as the carotenemia condition: a yellowish discolouration of the skin. Some of its many advantages include:
- Being a weight-loss friendly food
- Rich in vitamins which is very good for the body
- Being linked with lowering cholesterol levels
- Improved eye health
- Known to help reduce risk of cancer
- Aids dental health
- An unverified research states that carrots can improve male fertility because of carotenoids found abundantly in them
“If I have to get into a bikini, then I eat carrot sticks for three days”-Margot Robbie
In reality, carrots are probably the healthiest snacks to consume.